Andrew Kohlmetz has been involved with criminal defense since graduating from law school in 1995. Primarily practicing in the Portland metro area, he also has experience in Hood River, Wasco, Clackamas, Jefferson, Sherman, Gilliam, Marion, Polk, Washington, Wheeler and Yamhill counties. He has extensive experience defending major felony cases including homicides, sexual assaults, drug trafficking, medical marijuana, weapons offenses, white collar crimes and Ballot Measure 11 crimes. Since 2003 his practice has been primarily the defense of persons accused of serious weapons, drug, white collar and other complex criminal cases in United States Federal Court for the District of Oregon. He has also appeared before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
His professional memberships include The United States District Court for the District of Oregon, The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, The Oregon State Bar Association, the Oregon Criminal Defense Attorneys Association (OCDLA), the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys (NACDL), and the Multnomah County Bar Association.
He has written a chapter on felony DUII for the OCDLA's 2001 DUII Trial Notebook, as well as a chapter on the defense of sex crimes in the OCDLA's 2004 Major Crimes Manual.
Mr. Kohlmetz is active in the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyer's Association having recently served a four year term on its Board of Directors. He received a Bachelor's of Arts Degree cum laude from Hobart College, Geneva N.Y., in 1990. He graduated from the University of Oregon School of Law in 1995.
Areas of Practice
- Federal Criminal Defense
- State Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Oregon, 1995
- U.S. District Court District of Oregon, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2004
- University of Oregon School of Law, Eugene, Oregon
- J.D. - 1995
- Hobart College, Geneva, NY
- B.A. (Cum Laude) - 1990
- Major: Political Science
- Felony DUII chapter 16 of "The DUII Trial Notebook", Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2001
- Sodomy chapter 25 of "Major Crimes and Defenses", Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2004
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Member, 1997 - Present
- Multnomah County Bar Association, Member, 2000 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Rieke & Savage PC, Associate Attorney, 2000 - 2003
- Morris, Bofferding & Spinhirne PC, Associate Attorney, 1998 - 2000